Thursday, August 19, 2010

And the fun begins......

OK so maybe its not the fun but it is the lovely side effects of the drugs! And although the side effects aren't any fun, I do have some funny stories about them! So tonight at 9pm will be night 3 of the Follistim and Menopur injections. These are fun times I tell you. The good news is they aren't as painful as I anticipated yet anyways. I am sure as my tummy gets poked more and more times it will started getting a bit painful but for right now it just burns when the meds go in so I am thankful for that. So far no bruising on the belly yet but I can definitely feel the injections when I lean on something or bed over, not painful but definitely uncomfortable. So up until today right after lunch that and a terrible headache since Sunday have been the only side effects. But at about 1:00 today I got the worst hot flash I have ever had in my life. Now while on the birth control pills I had some hot flashes at night and they were bad or I thought they were bad but today I found out what a horrible hot flash really is. Now picture this, my boss and my co-worker are both men and about 75% of the rest of the group I work with are men too so to say I was getting strange looks is an understatement. So I am at my desk and had just finished eating about 10 min earlier and suddenly I thought I had turned into the grill that cooked the hamburger I had just ate. I swear I had flames shooting out of my body and it was burning from the inside out. I had sweat pouring off my head, arms and legs. So I went to the kitchen area and got two cups of ice and went into the ladies room where I proceeded to put as much ice on as many parts of my body as possible. I had ice in my bra in my shoes in my pants any where I could stash it and I swear it felt like it got hotter and hotter in there. So then I started eating out of the other cup of ice. After about 10 min I was finally starting to cool off or at least be bearable and so I put myself back together and went back to my desk. And yes I got some crazy looks but thankfully no one asked any questions. Of course I texted my IVF guru Angie and she assured me that this was very normal and that this was a good sign and meant the drugs were doing their job. Thanks Ang - great to have you on speed dial at all times although you might get sick of me! LOL! What was really weird was the headache was completely gone when the hot flash wait I mean when I spontaneously erupted into flames. So I was hopeful that the headache would stay gone, but no such luck it came back as soon as I cooled down to normal again. But hey that's OK. So then on my way home from work, I had to stop at HEB. I am trying to get in and get out with the few items I needed as soon as possible but my body had another idea. I am getting my last item, frozen tater tots when the flames return. So here I am standing in front of the frozen french fries and tater tots holding the door open and trying to figure out how I can climb in the freezer cabinet! Yes I am serious, if I could have gotten in that dang freezer cabinet, I would have but I couldn't figure out how to fit. So I grabbed about 3 or 4 bags of frozen tater tots and draped them over my neck and shoulders. And YES everyone was looking at me like I was insane, but let me tell you I could have cared less! All I wanted was to cool off already! So once the worst had passed, I grabbed a fresh bag of frozen tater tots and headed to the check out. Meanwhile I was getting crazy looks and people asking if I was OK. I just smiled and said sure I am fine doesn't everyone do this. Yeah so I made people really think I was crazy but oh well! I know this much for sure, I am normally a bit of a drama queen but this is just going to amplify my drama queen status! So for all my family and friends out there visit and go places with me at your own risk. I don't take responsibility for causing a scene! LOL!

Just wanted to make sure I got this down so that looking back on it all I will get a good laugh. I go back to the Dr on Friday and I will be sure to update after that.

Until then, please keep praying .......Blessings to you all!

3 comments:

  1. Girl - I know what you mean about the hot flashes. These hormone drugs really do it to you don't they? Now, I'm not getting injections or anything, but Clomid does the SAME thing to me! I keep telling myself, it'll all be worth it, it'll all be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie you are so right about these drugs. When I took clomid it made me down right crazy. Hot flashes and mood swings galore! But in the end it will be sooooooo worth it. I sure hope we both get to make great announcements real soon. By the way the pics of Mali on vaca are precious! You have a beautiful family my dear! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amy - I'm pretty proud of my family! Keep at it and let me know how you're feeling soon!!!

    ReplyDelete