Thursday, May 28, 2009

Chris has a surgery date & Amy has her follow-up

Well it has been a very exciting day for both of us. Let me start out with Chris's news and story.

While at my post-op visit the scheduling nurse came out and talked to Chris and wanted to know if he could do surgery on Monday (yes Monday like in 2 days) well unfortunately he can't because he has to travel for business and can't get out of it. So she came back and said no problem, we will do your pre-op appt today and send you over to the hospital for your pre-op labs, x-rays, etc and your surgery will be on Wednesday June 17th at 9:30 am at the same hospital I was at. As you can imagine we were both extremely excited it. So after both our appts we headed down the hall to the hospital for the next 2 hours to get him all squared away. He will be having the revision and to do this they go back in the same way they do the original surgery with 5 tiny incisions and the goal is to shrink the size of his tummy (aka the pouch). The Dr said 7-10 years ago since the surgery wasn't so advanced that they didn't make the pouch as small as they do now and they were able to see from all his prior tests that his pouch was too big to be the tool that it should be. So his hospital time and recovery time will be the same as mine.

Now on to my post-op appt. The first and most important news.....drum roll please....I have lost 15lbs since having surgery that's in 9 days! How crazy is that! The Dr was pleased as punch at my progress and said I am an over achiever because I am doing and feeling better much quicker than most people. He couldn't believe that I hadn't gotten sick a single time or even felt nauseated and he said that means you are doing what you are suppose to and not cheating. I said no way, I have come this far and I am not screwing it up now. He said everything was perfect including my incisions and that I should continue walking but that today I could move up to pureed foods! Whoo Hoo! I am so excited so my first meal was some blended up pinto beans that my mommy made just for me with a few shreds of low fat cheese. I must say they were the most delicious beans I had ever had. I only had a little over a table spoon which is less than I was eating on liquids but per the Dr that is expected until your body gets use to something other than liquids. Also he reminded me you will never eat the amounts you use to again. Over the next year it will become the size of about 6-8 oz and right now its only the size of about 2 oz. Honestly I didn't care how much I ate, I was just glad to have something other than soup. However, I still do not feel any hunger at all. I eat strictly by the clock. As a matter of fact today we did not get home from the Dr until 3:30 and I had breakfast at 9:00am and I wasn't hungry when I got home but knew I had to eat. I have to tell you this is the weirdest part of this whole process.

By way if you didn't notice I added weight loss trackers for both of us under our pre-surgery pictures so you can see how much we have lost since we started this journey in Sept 2008.

Well let me quit babbling for now and ask that you continue to pray for us both and tomorrow I will get the pics we took before the Dr posted. Until then, blessings to All!

1 comment:

  1. You are doing an amazing job! I am so thankful to have you as a friend...thanks for always being there!

    ReplyDelete