Monday, May 11, 2009

Update on Dr and my ROUGH Time.....

On Thursday I had my pre-op appt at the Dr's office as well as all my pre-op lab work at the hospital. The Dr visit went well and they actually moved my surgery to a different hospital so now I don't have to go to the medical center and this hospital is only 30 min from my house so we were very excited. The PA almost gave me a heart attack when he was doing a small physical. He was listening to my heart and after a few minutes he stepped back and said do you or have you ever had a heart murmer? UM NO! I look at Chris and he looks at me and of course I start panicing. He says let me listen again. He says its very slight and on the systolic side so it probably nothing but he wants Dr. Davis to take a listen. So he leaves the room. I immediately look at Chris and say this better not postpone surgery. In about 5 minutes Dr. Davis is back and he is laughing. He takes a listen asks my age and says, it is so very slight and its probably just your nerves then he proceeds to call me a "Chicken"! We all laughed and then I said are you sure my heart is ok. He now realizes I am a bit freaked out. He says yes and I promise you it will be gone within a few weeks after surgery. So now I am calming down and he says when you come in for your follow-ups we will listen to your heart closely and if it doesn't then I will send you to cardioloigst. So for now until surgery is done, I am putting that out of my mind. We left his office and went to the hopital where I peed in a cup, got 7 vials of blood drawn, 4 chest x-rays, and EKG, and signed tons of paperwork. When we left we went to 59 Diner and ate. For dinner our friends treated us to some Chili Cheese dogs and Chili Cheese tots. Thanks Ang & B it was wonderful. That meant Friday was the first day of the dreaded Shakes. I must have 4-5 shakes a day until Sunday and then I have one day of broth and water before surgery on Tuesday.

Well the shakes have just about brought me to my knees. You see I hate milk and despise shakes. I have major texture issues and well just can't stand the flavor of milk. On Friday morning I somewhat managed to drink most of the shake while gagging. At work I tried mixing the shake with more ice than water and put in frozen fruit. That was horrible....it was like trying to swallow a giant snot ball. I gagged down about half and threw the rest down the sink. I got home and tried one with just water and a little bit of ice (Each of these 3 were strawberry flavored) and could only manage about half. It was horrible. So we mixed some up with frozen yogurt and put in the freezer and off we went baby shower shopping and Mother's Day shopping. Now I had started getting a headache around 10am that day and well it just kept getting worse until I had a migraine and got sick as a dog on the way home. The hubby got me home and took good care of me and that night made me eat about 1/2 of a grilled cheese because I had nothing in my stomach and as soon as he came near me with the shakes I started gagging before I even drank them. So on Sat morning I tried the frozen creamscicle one and got about half down before I thought I would throw up. Let me just tell you once you puke this crap the flavor becomes even worse and the smell oh thats even worse. At this point, I am freaking out and don’t know what I am going to do. Chris makes me eat a banana because like he said if we can mix it with fruit then why can’t you eat the fruit you didn’t mix in it. So we watched TV for a little while before it was time to get ready to go to Dawn’s baby shower. Of course that just meant it was time for another shake. Well, this one was not good. I tried the strawberry again, this time with just water and nothing else in it and well I only got about ½ down before I literally started gagging so bad I threw up again! So now I am crying, Chris is frustrated and doesn’t know what to do. So while I am in the shower he goes on the website for the makers of the shakes I have and has a live chat with a rep. The rep says to try it with 12-14 oz of water instead of 8oz and to only use one scoop of mix. He said this way it will be more like water. Then he said if I still can’t stomach the taste to keep adding water to dilute it even more. He also suggested adding Crystal Light mix since it has a strong flavor and might hide the taste of the shakes. So at this point on Sat after the baby shower I am like I have to eat something because if not how am I going to function. So on Sat night we went to Jason’s and I got a big salad with FF Ranch. I figure there isn’t much in that and it can’t hurt that much. So then we started over yesterday. I tried the one scoop with 12 oz of water and a crystal light and it still sucked the big one but I got the whole thing down before we went to church and didn’t start gagging until half way thru it. So I thought this was a success. We went to Jason’s for a big salad after church with Chris’s parents and mine so that was good cause it got my mind off these horrible shakes. I had 2 more last night and managed to keep them down although I still gag them down. This morning I had another one and didn’t gag until about the last 4oz and I made it with 14oz of water instead of 12oz. So my next one I will try 15-16oz of water and see if that gets rid of the gagging. It is still disgusting but if I can do it without gagging I might be able to make it. I brought a banana and some pineapple to eat after the shake today to hold me over. So today I will end up having 4 shakes and having a salad at dinner tonight. Hopefully this will work for me because let me tell you this weekend has been horrible. Of course Chris says they don’t taste so bad but he likes milk and love shakes. To me whether you put the milk in or not, they taste like milk and chalk and well I can go on and on cause to me its disgusting.

So to the end of that extremely long post I ask that you say a prayer for me to make it thru these shakes until my surgery day.

No comments:

Post a Comment